My last 2 months

My last two months have been so busy with shows that I haven’t had time to do anything but paint and prepare for upcoming shows. I have sold a lot of work….yay me…..had a few live  interviews and really felt like an artist. I will be working for the next two months for another Open Studio that I was invited to participate. I am so thrilled at how these past few months have turned out that I know I traveling in the right direction.

I will be sharing my new larger work on this blog in the next few weeks. I have decided that my work is too small. I need to increase the size so I bought boards that are the largest I have ever worked on and have started 2 of them and feel so great about it.  They are 24″ x 24″ and 24″ x 48″….. I can’t wait to share them with you.

One of the new techniques I have been working on is how to get the most texture I can out of the hot wax. I have been trying to put art materials together that don’t normally “go together” and using them to benefit me and what my vision is.

I will be sharing with you some samples coming soon. If you would like to see what else I have been up to please visit my etsy store.

http://www.etsy.come/store/RavensNestArt

The picture below is from my last show.

Advertisements

Willingness to learn & know when to stop

Today was a great day for me, despite the fact that the encaustic painting I was working on was a failure. I decided in my first post that I would not only share the pieces that worked but the ones that didn’t. This piece was a little bit of both for me. I was trying out a bunch of new tools today and even though my painting started out good….it didn’t end that way. In the image below I am about 1/2 way through my piece. I had fused sage, green gold and turquoise wax for the background and was really happy with the way it was coming along. I carved out the lines and filled it will Prussian blue oil paint, and covered the lines with clear medium and fused again and still things were going along great. In my next step I heated up the end of this sculpture tool I had and melted these holes into the painting and intended to fill them with Alizarin Crimson wax. I had this whole thing planned out……

I started filling up the holes with the red and scraping back the extra so the piece was flat but somewhere along the line I accidentally overheated the wax and it all went down the drain from there. I was using a new heating tool and it was getting really hot. I thought if I tried putting more medium over the whole piece and scraping back where I wanted it to be all would be well. That didn’t turn out the way I wanted it to either so I decided that I would keep scraping the piece while heating up the wax and without heating up the wax to see what would happen. It just got worse and worse so I stopped.

When my painting stopped working I decided to use this piece as a learning experience. I thought about how this project did and didn’t work for me. I learned a lot today; what my new tools will and won’t do, what my new heat gun does when I am not paying attention and most importantly when to stop. I am going to scrape down the rest of this piece and start over, and I am more than okay with that.  Life and Art is good. Life and/or Art doesn’t turn out the way you think it’s going to so I guess life does imitate art, at least mine does.